Malama Pono Health Services is a servicing agency for the Kauai County CARES Act (COVID-19) rental & utility assistance program. Due to a high call volume regarding this program, we are asking people who are interested in the program to call us at 808-246-9577, select option 1, leave your name and phone number. We will call you back with more information about applying for assistance.
To be eligible you must meet the following requirements:
- Low to moderate income
- Loss of wages due to COVID-19
- Able to show proof of rent or mortgage (Valid Lease, Mortgage Statement)
- Able to show proof of electric, water and/or gas bills (Applicants name must be on the bills)
- Payments will be made directly to the landlord, mortgage lender, and utility companies. ( No direct payments will be made to the participant/applicant)
- No more than 3 months financial assistance per household – max $1,500 per month.
- On-going assistance and payments are based on availability of funding.
- Mortgage loans in a deferral program are not eligible. Only utility assistance will be available.
- Certification that you are not receiving housing assistance from any other source.
- Application for program
- Complete CDBG Self-Certification of Annual Income by Beneficiary
- Proof of loss of wages after 03/27/20 (Unemployment letter, letter from employer; self employment: General Excise Annual Return or IRS tax return.
- Rental/Lease Agreement (identifies landlord and amount paid for monthly rent or lease) or mortgage lender statement
- For rent or lease payments – signed W9 by landlord. (landlord will receive a 1099-misc for income received by Malama Pono Health Services.)
- Copy of utility bill. Water, Electric or gas bill. (bill must be in applicants name, other member of household as listed on self-certification or landlord service address must match.
- Provide verification of lost wages for month 2 on the program.
- Provide verification of lost wages for month 3 on the program.